Some people describe the spiritual dimension as what cannot be defined as part of the mind and body. These three aspects of our self influence each other, so if we improve our spiritual wellness, we’ll be heading in the right direction towards our physical health and overall healing journey.
Spiritual care is not a magic wand that will cure all our discomforts, but it can help us cope with the challenges related to dis-ease.
We can experience spiritual health when approaching a balance in our life that leads us to a more peaceful state of mind.
Spiritual wellness is when we can find strength and confidence during challenging times. It can help to encourage you as you experience life with all your senses.
But let’s not forget that spirituality is different for everyone, and there’s not a single spiritual belief or spiritual practice that works for all.
Read on and find out why it’s important to take care f your spiritual needs and how to improve your spiritual well-being.
Why is spiritual health is important?
Spiritual wellness confirms our search for a deeper meaning in our lives. When our spiritual needs are taken care of, we experience a more profound connection to our higher selves and surroundings.
We can also make everyday choices based on inner wisdom and intuition where our actions align with our core beliefs and values.
Our overall health requires enough care and attention for not only our physical body but also our mind and spiritual dimension.
The benefits of spiritual well-being vary – from more human and meaningful relationships to a more genuine sense of inner peace. So, how do we get there?
What are examples of spiritual health?
You might think that you have to go to a faraway temple to enhance your spirituality. However, many of the practices related to wellness are vital ingredients of a thriving spiritual experience.
These practices include social responsibility, volunteerism, empathy, community, self-care, and an optimistic approach to life.
You can tell when someone has optimal spiritual health because they have a strong personal value system, trust their inner compass, and don’t rely on other people to move on with their purpose.
These individuals also cultivate and fulfill their life’s mission and nurture their relationship with their inner self and others.
What are effective spiritual wellness activities?
When we start to develop and practice our own spiritual wellness journey, we can try different techniques and approaches until we find the one that best suits us.
Just like other dimensions of wellness, there are various ways to dive into spiritual evolution.
Our journey toward spiritual wellness may include the following:
Read and reflect.
There are plenty of books and information about spirituality available to get more familiar with this experience. Select a book like the Bible, quotes on meditation, daily devotionals, or whichever you find appropriate. Now, take the time to connect with the words and reflect on their meaning, even if that means reading the same passage several times.
To get in the proper mindset more quickly, try to make this practice part of your daily routine. If you can do it at the same time and place, even better!
Set your intentions.
Finding your life’s purpose is key to enhancing your spiritual health. The most direct way to discover it is by taking some time to make a payer and set the intentions you want to manifest in your life.
This practice will help you stay aligned to and rooted in your inner self. Through connecting with your intentions, you can dive deeper into the mission you’ve been put on this earth to achieve.
Setting your intentions can also be a soothing source, a way to fully relax by releasing your concerns and trusting that they will always come through.
Gratitude is simply a thankful appreciation for the blessings we receive in our lives, whether tangible or spiritual. Thanks to gratitude, we can acknowledge the goodness in our daily experiences.
Gratitude helps us feel more positive emotions, appreciate our experiences, improve our overall health, deal with our challenges more effectively, and build solid and lasting relationships.
You can start practicing gratitude by noticing all good things in your life, regardless of how trivial. Look for them and consciously appreciate them.
You can also stay grounded in the present. Absorb, savor, pay attention to all good things.
Write down all those things you are grateful for yourself. Be thankful for your strength, courage, endurance, and compassion.
Be grateful for those moments when you thought you would give up but kept going forward, thanks to your determination and faith in yourself.
Journaling is a great way to bring us to state of mindfulness. Past frustrations and future worries lose their apparent importance while we engage in this practice. It can also make us aware of whatever unhealthy habits we might be holding onto and must let go of. During stressful times, journaling can prevent you from taking out your frustration on others, allowing you to fully release your feelings in a cathartic way.
What are 7 ways to have good spiritual health?
- While spiritual wellness is a long and personal journey, we must exercise it to keep it in optimal condition. It is similar to the way we go to the psychologist to take care of our mental health and go to the gym to take care of our physical health.
- Explore your spiritual beliefs. This exercise is excellent to examine and learn more about who you are and what truly matters to you. So, ask yourself in a non-judgmental way, “What do I value most? Who am I? What is my true purpose?” Asking these questions daily will lead you to think more in-depth about your inner self and notice aspects of your identity that will help you achieve spiritual fulfillment.
- Look for deeper meanings. Things don’t happen by mere coincidence. If you change your approach to your daily events, you’ll find a spiritual experience in the more trivial circumstances. Seeking more profound meaning and analyzing patterns will help you realize that you are the co-author of your life and destiny. This understanding will empower you to embrace your life choices with more faith and optimism.
- Get it out. Sometimes we miss the point of our significant life events because we cannot sort out our feelings about it properly. Write down your thoughts and see how you can think more clearly and make wiser decisions afterward.
- Try yoga. Yoga is a physical activity that can help you enhance your spiritual health. It reduces emotional stress and physical strains that come from your mind and body. Yoga can help boost the immune system, lower blood pressure, reduce depression, fatigue, insomnia, and lead you to find inner peace.
- Travel. Although it doesn’t look like a spiritual practice, traveling can help you open your mind and broaden your reality about life. When you step away from your routine for a while, you can change your perspective, reflect, and cultivate a stronger connection with yourself. Traveling allows you to weed out mental or emotional stressors and set your mind on the right path for spiritual wellness. While you are on a trip, make sure to exercise, practice meditation, and change your mindset to a more positive one.
- Think positively. Try viewing problems as life lessons and challenges as exciting opportunities to grow. If you re-frame the way you experience certain situations and things, you’ll face life with more enthusiasm. Once you start living life more positively, your inner dialogue will transform into a very rewarding experience.
- Take time to meditate. Most of us live a hectic lifestyle that can be difficult to manage. This is why it is so important to devote a few minutes a day connecting with yourself. You don’t have to spend hours on end sitting in a lotus position to get there. A short guided meditation in the morning or a mindfulness meditation during your lunch break can do wonders. Fitting mediation into your lifestyle will clear your mind and enable a stronger relationship with your spiritual wellness.
From clarity to purpose
Pause for a few minutes and take a look at your life today. Look at how much you’ve grown and changed over the years! Honor all of the challenges you’ve overcome and the milestones you’ve accomplished.
But now, are you the best version of yourself?
If the answer is no, don’t get anxious. We are all a work in progress. It takes time and effort to stay on the journey of spiritual wellness and self-improvement.
By taking some time to pause and reflect, you’re better able to tap into your true potential. You become aware of the opportunities and life choices. You begin to understand how they shape you and influence the world around you.
Cultivating a sense of self can inspire you to become who you are meant to be—your best and most authentic self.
Your spiritual health is essential to experience overall healing. Spiritual practices such as prayer, contemplation, and mindfulness not only make us feel better but also propel our healing journey. They help us become more tolerant, genuine, and compassionate people.